Last Month – February 2018

 

Thank you to all the members that participated in the inter active workshop ! Thank you to Shaundre for his assistance and advice. Hansie sold some trees – any special requests can be directed to Hansie and he may be able to bring you a particular tree.

 

March 2018 – Saturday, 10 March – Big things have happened in February 2018!

 

We have to vacate Randjes Estate with immediate effect. No more meetings at Randjes!

 

Hansie  contacted the Scout Master in Sandringham and I went to look at the venue. It is suitable but not as convenient as Randjes. Saturdays the venue is not used mainly because it is in a Jewish community.  There are some steps to get into the upstairs venue! Storeroom facilities are limited and EBS will probably have to hire/buy a container – there is sufficient parking space and space for the container!

 

I need the members to attend this meeting and to advise on the suitability of the venue!

 

Address : 29 George Avenue – Sandringham – Scout Hall – A diagonal road off Louis Botha.

 

Neighbouring with the Sandringham Vet hospital ! The Vet building is a Mustard colour! The scout hall signboard cannot be seen from the Jo’burg side – turn left at the robots near the Vet and backtrack about 50 m. Almost a U-Turn back to Scout Hall – The Scout hall is labelled “SANDHURST” – Long story! It is NOT in Sandton!

 

Members must please bring one or two trees for discussion and to work on! We have some potential new members who will be bringing trees! Our facebook page and e-mail contact with Errol has again shown many enquires from people wanting to join a Bonsai club! Please be gentle and discrete about possibly cutting the tree short – It may even happen to my tree!

 

 

 

NEW TALENT COMPETITION!

 

I am aware that some people already paid for the tree R 50-00.

 

That was the price last year but I have managed to source better quality older Juniper Procumbens Nana for R 170-00 . These same trees will be used in the SABA finals in November!

 

At the meeting we will also have a critique if you want some advice on any tree – Lucky raffle critique tree wins a R50.00 shop voucher.

 

Cake – Will the cake person please be reminded to supply some eats!

 

I DID NOT CHECK THE SCOUT HALL FOR TEA+COFFEE+CAKE RESOURCES ! PLEASE BRING YOUR OWN MUG OR ELSE EBS WILL HAVE POLYSTYRENE CUPS !

 
Last Month – January 2018

 

Thank you to all the members that participated in the inter active workshop ! Thank you to Shaundre for his assistance and advice.

 

February 2018 – Saturday, 10 February –

 

Members must please bring one or two trees for discussion and to work on! We have some potential new members who will be bringing trees! Our facebook page and e-mail contact with Errol has again shown many enquires from people wanting to join a Bonsai club! Please be gentle and discrete about possibly cutting the tree short – It may even happen to my tree!

 

Hansie Bekker will be selling some trees as you saw earlier in the week! Please support him if you can and maybe get advice on the tree in the meeting!

 

At the meeting we will also have a critique if you want some advice on any tree – Lucky raffle critique tree wins a R50.00 shop voucher.

 

Cake – Will the cake person please be reminded to supply some eats!

 
December 2018

  

 

Visit and braai at Bonsai Magic – Kathy Steyn

 

We had fifteen people from EBS attend the social at Kathy Steyn’s Magic Bonsai Nursery.

 

Members bought some trees. We had a good braai and social.

 

The best thing about the visit was the helpfulness and willingness from Kathy and Robbie. The garden is beautifully laid-out ! The bonsai show trees are in magnificent condition and each special tree has its own individual stand!

 

Thank you to Kathy and Robbie and his son for the visit and doing the braai for us.

 

We must consider what the club members want to do for December 2018 !

 

January 2018 – Saturday, 13 January –

 

The committee has no topic planned so I suggest we do a workshop meeting – Members must please bring one or two trees for discussion and to work on! We have some potential new members who will be bringing trees! Please be gentle and discrete about possibly cutting the tree short – It may even happen to my tree!

 

At the meeting we will also have a critique if you want some advice on any tree – Lucky raffle critique tree wins a R50.00 shop voucher.

 

Cake – There are a few birthdays this month and Kanti will supply the eats.

 
NOVEMBER 2017- 
 

Last Month – EBS Annual show !

 

Thank you to all those that participated in various ways. Errol missed his first show in many years – although it was mentioned that he was on leave for one or two shows in the past. It was one of the quickest set-ups that I can remember! Randjes assisted by removing the wooden tables from the bottom of the stage and erecting the tables where I told them to place the tables ! That worked very well ! Yatish and others were there to set-up the backdrops ! That worked well ! A small group of people but the set-up and breakdown on Sunday was smooth ! That you to all those who assisted !

 

Thank you to members who arrived early to help. By 13h00 Calvin and myself had transported most of the items from the old storeroom to the hall.  

 

Thank you to those who assisted on the floor with the visitors ! Thank you to Peggy and Jeanette for manning the reception table ! Thank you to Reina for helping on Sunday although she is not even a club member ! Thank you to all who brought trees – I think it was a good show – maybe we needed a clear sign for the trees in training ! We will fix that next year – make a mental note !

 

We had few visitors on Saturday but reasonable sales in the shop ! We had more visitors on Sunday but less sales in the shop !

 

Thank you to Yatish and Kanti for tree sales and to Tommy, Cecil, Fred, Shaundre for manning the workshop area.

 

Thank you to Alan and Joanne who managed the shop sales and the finances for the show weekend.

 

 

November 2017 – Saturday, 11 November –

 

Yatish will do a talk on Growing cuttings on various species. Kanti will do a short talk on the species pomegranate. Jeanette has requested to do a short surprise talk on something a bit radical in bonsai terms! I am looking forward to her talk! Ladies are most welcome to participate.

 

 

 At the November meeting we will have a workshop and critique if you want some advice on any tree.

 

Cake – Gina Rothfels is on cake duty this month.

 

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT:

 

The December meeting (09 December) will be a outing to a bonsai nursery. Kathy Steyn has invited EBS and Vaal Bonsai to her house (plot) to see her bonsai collection, and her bonsai sale trees. Kathy’s husband has recently retired (retrenched) – and he is now a full-time helper in the nursery. We will be having a braai + salads at the nursery ! Please bring R 50-00 per person if you are going to join the visit to Kathy Steyn in Randfontein ! This is to cover the cost of braai packs and salads ! Drinks and refreshments to provided for yourself. Bring a chair to sit on – a hat and sunscreen is highly recommended. Final arrangements, map and time will be confirmed soon.

 
 
SEPTEMBER 2017 - Newsletter 
 

Dear Members,

 

NEWS: Errol is in hospital – Pain around the kidney area – possible growth and bleeding

Errol does NOT have Whatsapp contact at the moment! I will keep members updated !

 

Last Month – Shaundre Craukamp - Demonstration and Talk – Semi-Cascade

 

Thank you to Shaundre for the Demonstration and talk. Semi-Cascade is the style of the year – each member must work on new material (any species) and transform the tree into a semi-cascade before the AGM in June 2018 – Shaundre did some serious work on a Juniperous Procumbens Nana – A lot of the work was done before the meeting but with input from the members a large section of the cascading branch was cut-off ! Much to the delight of members it is something that I have thought about for many years and I have no regrets ! I is my tree that was worked on and could be on show soon !  

 

September 2017 – Saturday, 09 September 2017 – Hannes Fritz –

 

“Bonsai around the world including South Africa”

 

Our topic this month is a talk and demonstration by Hannes Fritz. Hannes is very active in the Bonsai community and recently represented Africa at the World Bonsai Convention in Japan. Hannes is planning to show and tell us about his experiences locally and in Japan.

 

We will have a workshop to discuss member’s trees – especially show trees that you intend to display at EBS October show. Critique on show trees or trees that you need advice about. Bring them to the workshop / meeting and we can all have input and the tree is still yours to cut or not to cut !

 
 
JULY 2017 - Saturday, 8 July 2017 -Newsletter

 

Last Month – AGM – Talk and discussion by Kappi Paulse

 

The Chairman’s Award was awarded to Errol Rubin. Thanks Errol for the work that you do behind the scenes – the finance liaison with Alan Russel, the go-between EBS and Randjes, keeping the shop stocked and handling the sales.

Most improved beginner – Jennifer Georgeson – well done!

Most improved Stylist – Shaundre Craukamp

Most improved grower – Cecil Jubber

 

Apologies if I have got that wrong ! Congratulations and well done. Certificates will be awarded soon !

 

Thank you to Kappi for the talk and slide show. Thank you to Nazeem for assisting with the powerpoint presentation and for Clive who operates his own laptop for the club. 

 

Thank you to those who brought soup! Thanks to Peggy and Arthur for suppling the rolls and strong liquid – It was a cool day warmed up by the medication.

 

 

JULY 2017 – Saturday, 08 July 2017 – Carving Demonstration and workshop by Kathy Steyn

 

Kathy is doing the demonstration this month – Carving on Yamadori ! Kathy will show us how she does her carving – different techniques and different equipment that she uses (with her husband Robbie’s help).

 

Please bring any trees that you would like Kathy to look at and maybe give advice! Maybe you need the final touches to previous carving or maybe you have no idea where to start!

 

Please attend and participate – Kathy is when known and respected for the work she does on her trees!

 

 

EBS is running a silent auction – (Minimum bid R200) on a table cloth donated by Reina Oudmayer – It is hand-painted and the highest bid will be drawn at the July monthly meeting. Send your bid to Errol or myself in writing before the July meeting. We also have a Japanese calendar and a booklet from Omiya bonsai village on special raffle – tickets selling at R 20. The raffle and silent auction will be drawn at the July meeting.

 
 
JUNE 2017 – Saturday, 10 June 2017 – AGM and monthly meeting

 

Last Month – Dave Wilson – Slide show on the Bonsai tour to Japan

 

I did a slide show on the World Bonsai Convention 8 – A visit to Japan.

I was not prepared and I was just a back-up in case the planned demonstrator did not arrive.

 

I showed a number of slides and the meeting discussed various trees as well as the demonstration tree that Hannes Fritz worked on. A possible future meeting we may show more of Japan including the various historic places that we visited.

 

Our topic this month is displaying your bonsai at home or at the annual show! Kappi Paulse will talk to us about his unique bonsai display In Cape Town SABA convention 2015 as well as at the EBS show in October 2016. He will also discuss styling of a tree and the best way it should be displayed!

 

Kappi has some slides to show us and discussion with the members is welcomed – please attend and participate in the club activities.

 

We will have a workshop to discuss member’s trees – especially show trees that you intend to display at EBS October show. Remember the winning ticket on critique trees wins a R50 shop voucher.

 

EBS is running a silent auction – (Minimum bid R200) on a table cloth donated by Reina Oudmayer – It is hand-painted and the highest bid will be drawn at the July monthly meeting. Send your bid to Errol or myself in writing before the July meeting. We also have a Japanese calendar and a booklet from Omiya bonsai village on special raffle – tickets selling at R 20. That will also be drawn at the July meeting.

 

Photos of the table cloth will be sent out with this newsletter. 

 

Those members who volunteered to bring soup for the winter EBS AGM – reminder to those members please! It could be a cold day judging by the weather forecast. 

 
MAY 2017 – Saturday, 13 May 2017 – 

 

Last Month – Colin Gerrans - Demonstration and Talk

 

Thank you to Colin and Mark for the slide show and talk about the Tea Bush! Interesting species with small leaves and flowers. Errol brought his tea bush and was given some ideas on future styling. The main issue with tea bush is that it likes water. Constant watering is required as a bonsai although in its natural environment it does not seem to need water as much.

 

There were rooted cuttings for sale and most of the trees were sold. 

 

Our topic this month is growing plant/trees from cuttings. Yatish Poonee will give us some ideas on the way that he grows trees from cuttings. There are different ways to grow cuttings, each person has different success with their method and their soil mix. We look forward to seeing some of his bonsai that were started from cuttings.

 

We will have a workshop to discuss member’s trees – especially show trees that you intend to display at EBS October show.

 

Anthoney is booked for cake – Just a reminder !

 
APRIL 2017 – Saturday, 08 April 2017

 

Last Month – Workshop and critique on new material and show trees

 

We had a busy afternoon discussing trees and doing some work on the trees. Thanks to Tommy for the critique and styling a new Juniper. Thanks to Errol for bringing a tree at short notice and discussing the future of the tree.

Thanks to all the members who brought trees – I encourage your active participation in the club!

 

This did not happen! - I will show a few pictures that I have not EVER looked at since I did the photographs! Photo’s from BRAT days, convention – just to inspire and encourage! Maybe book this for May meeting after the Japan Convention!

 

Thanks to Clive for the cake although he could not attend!

  

Our topic this month is Tea Bush/Tea Tree – Colin Gerrans a long time member of EBS will give us a talk and slide show on this amazing flowering species. I have no knowledge of Tea Bush and I can’t wait to hear what Colin has to say. Any member who has Tea Bush plants or Bonsai bring them along.

There will be some young Tea Bush rooted cuttings for sale if you would like to try this species.

 
MARCH 2017 – Saturday, 11 March 2017
 

Last Month – Slanting and Literati styles – Demonstration by Tommy Ramiah.

 

I have started a Whatsapp group which I hope you will agree to for this type of situation. This group will only communicate urgent EBS matters

Thanks to Tommy and all those who brought trees for critique – Clive found some natural trees in the wild that conform to these two styles. There were also some pictures of bonsai trees and the members discussed the merits of each tree. Tommy lead the discussion insisting on participation from members ! We all have our own idea – that is natural. Please participate and share your knowledge – that is the way you and others will learn. 

 

 Bring your show trees for advice on possible changes for the October show. Also bring workshop trees that can still be worked on in this season – evergreens! I will show a few pictures that I have not EVER looked at since I did the photographs! Photo’s from BRAT days, convention – just to inspire and encourage! Clive is booked for cake – Just a reminder Clive.

 
JANUARY 2017 : Saturday, 14 January 2017

 

Thank you to all who participated. I believe we had a good day. Those that attended saw the quality of the trees. His knowledge on his trees is exceptional. He brought out a Ficus Burtt Davii that he have demonstrated on in 2009 at EBS when we still had meetings in the smaller Rotary hall. He has over 100 Ficus Burtt Davii in the same size plastic container, but each one is individual! Thanks to Flip for an interesting day – I have seen on face-book that many clubs have had visits to his home subsequent to our visit!

 

 We are having a practical demonstration by Tommy Ramiah on Slanting and Literati style – please bring trees that are styled as a slant or Literati ! Please bring workshop trees that can be worked on before the meeting or during the meeting with input from all the members ! Bring your tools and turntable ! Please bring trees for advice and start considering which trees will be on show this year.

 
 
DECEMBER MEETING: Saturday, 10 December 2016

 

There is no meeting at Randjes Estate ! Please Note !

 

The club is going on a bonsai visit to a well known bonsai grower in Westonaria.

 

The club has collected R 50-00 for a boerewors roll and cooldrink! Those who have put their names adown and not paid, can you please pay at the venue. Those who have not indicated their intention of joining the club visit – can you please notify Errol or myself as soon as possible for catering purposes and payment at the venue!.

 

If some members would like to bring a salad (for 5 people) that would be appreciated.

 
NOVEMBER MEETING: Saturday, 12 November 2016

 

Thank you to all who participated in the show – Thanks to Errol who was the main organizer of the event – We had a reasonably smooth set-up on the Friday afternoon!

As the afternoon progressed we had more helpers arriving ! The set-up on Friday and break-down on Sunday is always a big job – thanks to all the members who assisted with the various duties over the weekend. Thanks to those members who brought trees! I think we had a good quality show including the beginners section! Please bring your comments to the November meeting and let us discuss the show and how you experienced the weekend !

Thanks to Jeanette for manning the front desk! I know various ladies shared the table with Jeanette and I apologize if I have missed the effort that you put in!

This is the clubs annual show and it was disappointing to not see some of our members attending the show!

 

 

 

AUGUST MEETING: Saturday, 13 August 2016

 

Thank you to those who attended – We had a good afternoon learning and actually seeing re-potting being done. Errol re-potted a Mulberry from a growing plastic container to a Ceramic pot ! Errol also showed us how he uses polystyrene chips to layer the bottom of the container to reduce the weight. The tree roots had grown into the polystyrene, so there was no negative reaction being the two. The two species of Mulberry appear to be one tree and it was decided to completely change the planting angle.  Dave repotted a Chinese Maple after Tommy and Shaundre had done some serious cutting and styling ! The tree was completely out of shape and will be potted in a bonsai pot next year. Tommy also re-arranged a Celtis group planting that was done at the club about two years ago when the club sold Celtis trees to the members.    

 
September MEETING: Saturday, 10 September 2016

 

We are having a practical workshop. – mostly trees that you intend to “show” in October. All the members must please bring the trees that they intend to show so that any final trimming or adjustments can be made!  This is your club so let us participate and bring workshop trees and show trees that you need advice on.

 

Please would members please also bring trees to the meeting for workshop (time permitting). Bring your tools and turntable !

 

NOVEMBER 2016

 

 

Last Month – Annual E.B.S October show

 

Thank you to all who participated in the show – Thanks to Errol who was the main organizer of the event – We had a reasonably smooth set-up on the Friday afternoon!

As the afternoon progressed we had more helpers arriving ! The set-up on Friday and break-down on Sunday is always a big job – thanks to all the members who assisted with the various duties over the weekend. Thanks to those members who brought trees! I think we had a good quality show including the beginners section! Please bring your comments to the November meeting and let us discuss the show and how you experienced the weekend !

Thanks to Jeanette for manning the front desk! I know various ladies shared the table with Jeanette and I apologize if I have missed the effort that you put in!

This is the clubs annual show and it was disappointing to not see some of our members attending the show!

 

NOVEMBER MEETING: Saturday, 12 November 2016

 

We are having a practical demonstration by Tommy Ramiah on Slanting style – please bring trees that are styled as a slant ! Please bring workshop trees that can be worked on before the meeting or during the meeting with input from all the members ! Bring your tools and turntable !

Contact Us

Address

Email: naseemebrahim(at)yahoo.com

50 2nd Ave, Houghton Estate, Johannesburg, 2198

This site was designed with the
.com
website builder. Create your website today.
Start Now